HAPPY NEW YEAR!
What is your New Year’s Resolution for 2022?
It’s that time of year again, when we think about making significant changes in our lives, only to realize that we may not be able to accomplish them. Have you felt this way?
- Quit smoking
- Lose 20 pounds
- Exercise more
- Save enough money to retire by 40
- Pay off all debt
Does this sound familiar?
This year, try to avoid setting such lofty expectations for yourself. Even though I am well aware that I have previously expressed some of these, I was completely unaware of how difficult these lifestyle changes were in comparison to the one I was accustomed to living. When I first started, I would make significant progress, then regress slightly after achieving some success, then become discouraged for failing to sustain the momentum, and eventually give up due to my inability to maintain it. Additionally, I am not the most patient person, so waiting for things to unfold and seeing immediate results can be challenging. Does this sound like you?
Establish SMART goals. To stay motivated this year, consider making smaller goals and rewarding yourself as you accomplish them.
Using the SMART concept is a great method to make goals more effective.
- S – Specific (or Significant).
- M – Measurable (or Meaningful).
- A – Attainable (or Action-Oriented).
- R – Relevant (or Rewarding).
- T – Time-bound (or Trackable).
- Smoke one pack of cigarettes less a month or week
- Lose 5lbs in a month
- Exercise an extra 30 minutes a week
- Save an extra $100 a month
- Pay off one credit card by the end of the year
The accomplishment of these minor goals provides us with additional incentive and motivation to work toward our ultimate goal.
Are you still having some trouble deciding on a good New Year’s resolution? Below are some other ideas for a great New Year’s Resolution for the year 2022.
- Drink 8 glasses of water every day
- Read 1 new book every month
- Buy 1 new plant every month
- Volunteer 2 hours a week
- Donate to a charity every month
- Take yourself out to a nice dinner once a month
- Give yourself 1 new compliment a day
- Compliment someone once a day
- Cook a healthy meal once a week
- Walk 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week
- Wake up 1 hour early
- Spend 1 hour a day learning a new language